Humor Random Comments Thread

MattBaker

Reaction score
Because:
1st: What they think of when they hear aliens is of course the reality, it's not like we're most likely to discover microbes on other bodies (not planets because, well, Titan, Europa, Enceladus...). And yes, microbes on other bodies is worth the money, actually it's quite awesome.
2nd: Only living species are worth noting, just like on Earth where no one cares about iron ore or oil. Our economy is built on these? Oh...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal:

20121130.gif

Well, three papers were published the same day. I think that's 'details'. :p
Comic is true to most people I see though. Facebook comments on Science Channel posts are the scariest things...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The answer is hidden in the (inofficial) swiss national anthem:

When dragons belch and hippos flee
My thoughts, Helvetia, are of thee
Let others boast of martial dash
For we have boldly fought with cash
We own all your helmets, we own all your shoes.
We own all your generals - touch us and you'll lose.
Helvetia! Helvetia!
Helvetia owns the day!
We can rule you wholesale
Touch us and you'll pay.

;)

I never heard that... but it's certainly hilarious :rofl:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Today's xkcd: http://xkcd.com/1141/

It's not really my business, but it's really nice to hear about stuff like this every once in a while. I'm happy for those two.

(The comic is a reference to his own fiancee / wife, who was diagnosed with breast cancer in fall 2010. They got married a bit more than a year ago, and are still going.)

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Today's xkcd: http://xkcd.com/1141/

It's not really my business, but it's really nice to hear about stuff like this every once in a while. I'm happy for those two.

(The comic is a reference to his own fiancee / wife, who was diagnosed with breast cancer in fall 2010. They got married a bit more than a year ago, and are still going.)

Love (and scrabble fiends) conquer all.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
* Initiate sarcasm *
I just saw a commercial for a "new" board game - Words With Friends. I seem to have seen that before with different packaging; I think it was called... Scrabble?

* Sarcasm maneuvers complete *

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Okay, well seeing that this is the random comments thread, I thought Id post something really out there. In fact, so far out in left field that its coming in from over the outfield fences...

My table hockey game. It was, shall we say, a bit of work to create :lol:.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
* Initiate sarcasm *
I just saw a commercial for a "new" board game - Words With Friends. I seem to have seen that before with different packaging; I think it was called... Scrabble?

* Sarcasm maneuvers complete *

Seen that. I hear there's also Draw Something the board game.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Today the world's first nuclear power aircraft carrier, the real USS Enterprise (CVN-65), was deactivated, marking the end of its 51 year life. But its name will live on in the US Navy, because it was just announced that CVN-80 (the third Ford class aircraft carrier) will be named as the 9th generation USS Enterprise!

Source: http://blogs.defensenews.com/intercepts/2012/12/carrier-enterprise-cvn-65-leaves-the-fleet-but-the-name-lives-on/

:salute:

A huge thank you to the crews that kept her afloat for fifty years, and here's hoping that the next Big E has fifty years of excellent service.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Today the world's first nuclear power aircraft carrier, the real USS Enterprise (CVN-65), was deactivated, marking the end of its 51 year life. But its name will live on in the US Navy, because it was just announced that CVN-80 (the third Ford class aircraft carrier) will be named as the 9th generation USS Enterprise!

Source: http://blogs.defensenews.com/intercepts/2012/12/carrier-enterprise-cvn-65-leaves-the-fleet-but-the-name-lives-on/
Hopefully we'll get to the Starship Enterprise.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Anyone here have some kind of experience building and operating a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_radio"]crystal radio set[/ame]? :tiphat: I might try to build one during Christmas.....

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know the one on the right, but 90% of the people on the left. I feel good now :p.

Unfortunately I recognise only five people on the left, but would probably know more if I had just their names... No Idea who the chick on the right is, but I think I've seen her before. Would maybe know her too if I had the name.

They could have thrown Marrie Currie in on the left, just to have a bit of gender equality, though. And for me to recognise someone more... :lol: