Humor Random Comments Thread

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
4453521_20150113095509879_1_XLARGE.jpg

Monte Carlo MC4. I'd just have to delay my retirement (again).

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Recovering Data from my dead laptops Disk via SATA to USB. Seems like Windows needs half an hour to update the security settings on the User/AppData folder so I can access it.
Huh? Never heard of such "updating".
What happens if you just plug it into another machine and copy the files over?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Recovering Data from my dead laptops Disk via SATA to USB. Seems like Windows needs half an hour to update the security settings on the User/AppData folder so I can access it.

I do miss Linux a lot in such situations...
Did you try to remove the hidden attribute from the directory?

Because you certainly don't need to and probably shouldn't do that.

If you're the applicable user, you should have immediate access to AppData without a need to enter further credentials.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Never heard of such "updating".

Granting permission, really. Windows pops up a dialog saying it's "updating the security settings" for the affected files, because apparently it's not enough if it just changes the permissions of the folder itself.

What happens if you just plug it into another machine and copy the files over?

No idea, since I don't have a machine I can just plug in HDs anymore. SATA to USB was the only option.

If you're the applicable user, you should have immediate access to AppData without a need to enter further credentials.

Of course I was not the applicable user. It's the HD from a fried laptop. I Pluged it into the new laptop via USB. I couldn't access the folder before granting permissions to the user on the new laptop. And that sure took longer than I expected...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Of course I was not the applicable user. It's the HD from a fried laptop. I Pluged it into the new laptop via USB. I couldn't access the folder before granting permissions to the user on the new laptop. And that sure took longer than I expected...
Oooh... I read your post too fast. :)

In that case, I've experienced much the same thing when copying "special" folders to another PC.
Haven't found or really looked for a solution, but I also haven't experienced a wait of more than a couple minutes to gain permission.
There must be some sort of metadata to designate a directory as being special (like Program Files). I'm very interested in whether that metadata can be thrown away somehow.
Just a few weeks ago, I got a new PC and simply threw away most of a backup of an old Google Drive folder since random files throughout refused to be moved, even after assigning myself Ownership.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
I know everybody values security, but sometimes I miss the simpler days of DOS 5.0.

I hate it with a passion.

An old DOD regulation once stated. "No security measures will be implemented that encumber or otherwise prevent the user from effectively and efficiently using the system."

But I'm stuck attempting to remember 16 character passwords with impossible phrase combinations. And each "system" I have to use has to have a unique password of course. Not to mention security Nazis pop up from around dark corners to make sure you are following protocol.

I don't find any of this funny, so I'll move on. I started on DOS 3.3 those were the good ol' days.

steph

Reaction score
So I wake up early for some odd reason and, lacking anything better to do, I start playing Skyrim. Next thing I know, gf hears me and walks in bewildered, thinking I'm watching the Sunday sermon....:rofl:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I started on DOS 3.3 those were the good ol' days.
DOS 3.6 here, on a first generation x86 CPU. I remember the board having a "RAM-extension" to boost it to the 640 KB required for 3.6. Which meant it had a second deck screwed on top of it with additional RAM chips, since half of the board was already taken up by the standard RAM. And that bloody board was at least somewhere around 17 inches a side! :lol:

But I'm stuck attempting to remember 16 character passwords with impossible phrase combinations.

There is keepass to help with that particular problem, though.

Hm, somehow i never had to deal with this permission stuff.

This was the first time for me. I never keep important data in the user folder, but I really wanted to get that No Man's Sky save over to the new machine...

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

Also, completely unrelated, I'm beginning to suspect that children with Downs Syndrome are in truth an anthropomorphic manifestation of entropy.

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
There is keepass to help with that particular problem, though.
If it's anything to do with DoD, storing passwords anywhere outside your brain is likely to be a no go.

I tried KeePass for personal use once and very quickly forgot how to get back into it. :) It's still one of the few programs I have on my desktop and I keep believing some day I'll use it again.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
DOS 3.6 here, on a first generation x86 CPU. I remember the board having a "RAM-extension" to boost it to the 640 KB required for 3.6. Which meant it had a second deck screwed on top of it with additional RAM chips, since half of the board was already taken up by the standard RAM. And that bloody board was at least somewhere around 17 inches a side! :lol:

The first computer I ever "used" was a little CP/M laptop my mom had, with no other storage than battery backed RAM.

The first system I ever used without assistance was Win 3.foo running on DOS who-knows-point-mumble on either a 386 or a 486.

[/COLOR]Also, completely unrelated, I'm beginning to suspect that children with Downs Syndrome are in truth an anthropomorphic manifestation of entropy.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure Downs syndrome has anything to do with it. I've generally heard children described that way without qualification as to what conditions they may have.

If it's anything to do with DoD, storing passwords anywhere outside your brain is likely to be a no go..

Plus it's likely not to help if you're working on lots of mutually physically disconnected machines, which I'd think to be the case in hyper-security environments like the DoD. I don't use KeePass myself, but from what I've seen of it it looks to be great for logging into multiple websites and such from one machine, but I'd expect the DOD to have physically isolated networks for various purposes, so that ones job might involve going around between three or four different workstations, none of which could reach any other or the global Internet.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The security "experts" tell you never to write down your passwords, but let's face it, when you realize you have dozens of logins most people resort to easily-hacked measures such as using the same password on every system.

I am old enough to remember when I had zero passwords or PIN numbers. Computers didn't need them because you didn't have to "log on" or have a "user account", and ATM machines were not yet in widespread use; most people did their banking at the teller window with a real human.

Not that I want to go back to those days; life is a lot easier in many respects today. Before ATMs you had to keep enough cash in your pocket to get through to the next paycheck or bank visit. Impulse buying had a much more immediate impact on you.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I run fine using a system based on the UK rainbow codes.

I simply have a code table for the current year, which generates a "hash string code" based on the current date. When a date results in an already used password, I roll over to the next color/substantive table for generating it.

In essence, what I need to remember is just four chunks of information:

The letter of the code table.
One digit for the colour
Two digits for the substantive.

When I fail to remember a password, knowing approximately when it was generated is often enough information to restore it.

The next revision there is already in development for next year... including a PDF generator for the code table.

Of course, it means that the code table has to be kept secret because it could permit getting access to some passwords. I decided against randomly rolling the password combination and use an annually changing hash function - simply because its easier to remember.

No, I am not paranoid.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

lunch_order.png

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm not sure Downs syndrome has anything to do with it. I've generally heard children described that way without qualification as to what conditions they may have.

Oh, I'd say all children qualify at least as Avatars :lol:
But most of the time it's the result of lazynes and not giving a :censored:. Our little Joris is... different. There is a grim determination about him, an intent to make things more unorderly.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There is a grim determination about him, an intent to make things more unorderly.

Observation about my daughter (5.5 years).

Downstairs, she is eagerly helping her pregnant mother. Even including telling her mother what she should not do and what she can do better.

Upstairs, she only needs 15 seconds to make her room look like a bomb exploded inside. And can't tidy it up again, because she does not know how to start - and loudly complains about this problem.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And can't tidy it up again, because she does not know how to start - and loudly complains about this problem.

Well, at least there's a will! :lol:

Downstairs, she is eagerly helping her pregnant mother.

Why, Congratulations! ...I think. If my Wife would come to me and tell me "I'm pregnant again" today, she might as well have told me "The world is going to explode tomorrow and we're all going to die", but people's mileage in that regard seems to vary heavily :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If my Wife would come to me and tell me "I'm pregnant again" today, she might as well have told me "The world is going to explode tomorrow and we're all going to die", but people's mileage in that regard seems to vary heavily :lol:

Seriously - when I was suddenly seeing the ultrasonic image at work on my smartphone the description "I felt a great disturbance in the force" fits it. :lol:

Took just three seconds to arrive to the conclusion that we wanted a second child in two years anyway, but half a day to also accept this conclusion as somewhat sensible. :tiphat: Now, in hindsight, it was the right moment, if we would have planned it, we couldn't have planned it better. Suddenly, even my workplace is much closer to my own growing family.